8 February 2013

200 Years Wedding Fashion

29th October 2012

This afternoon, i rushed downtown for the exhibition that caught my eye a week ago while doing my school assignment. The assignment consisted of going to an exhibition, conference or convention and research on it. This particular wedding-y exhibition caught my heart right from the beginning with its mesmerising gowns and trains, the beautiful shoes and the rich history behind it all. I was compelled by some unknown desire to take a look...

So immediately after my last lesson, Law, ended, i rushed out of class with my laptop in hand, bag pulled onto my shoulder and my precious DSLR hung on my neck and 15 minutes later, i was in the cab telling the uncle, "Uncle, please get to National Museum Singapore quickly," which made him look flustered because i had this worried look on my face (because i had to get myself into a tour that would start at 1530 and i only got in the cab at 1450). Also, i may have put too much pressure on him when i kept looking at my phone's digital clock and sighing loudly the whole drive there. If i had a watch with me, i would have kept glancing at it every few seconds haha!

Soon, i reached the museum and realised i was lost because i had no idea where the hell the exhibition was and all i could see were ang mohs everywhere. For those of you who don't know, Ang Mohs mean those not Asians like for example, caucasian, eurasian etc.etc.etc. You see, in Singapore, of course there are Ang Mohs but we don't see much of them in the west side of Singapore where i live so i was quite shocked to be surrounded by so many at once when i reached the museum. I gaped at the cute guys my age because they were THAT cute! The ladies were esp beautiful like they came right out of a high class TV show like revenge or something. 

I approached a man and fumbled for something to say because i was simply out of words by what i saw. "umm... event where.. umm.. arh... oh nevermind.. uhm where is the event..."  My mind was like what the fuck are you doing? speak like a normal person! dont embarass me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the end, i regained my composure and asked a lady in another hallway, she was asian (which made things easier because i'm apparently intimidated by Ang Mohs) who was sitting in front of an exit leading to some room. "Hi, i'm lost, do you know where the wedding event umm sorry, exhibition is?" I think it took her a while to get what i was saying because she asked me "are you here for the bleh bleh bleh talk?" (it was a bunch of words i didnt hear properly and couldn't care less). And when she found out i wasn't here for her event, she led me to the right direction! YEA!

When i finally reached the exhibition area, i was awestruck by the sheer beauty of it all! Everywhere i turned, i see laces, i see gowns, i hear soothing classical music and most of all, i see bountiful history soon to be absorbed!

These are the first few things i saw as i entered the exhibition. It was simply breathtaking. 

See the beautiful laces? I want to touch it so badly >.<\
An interesting fact about these laces though is that in the second half of the 19th century, historical laces became extremely fashionable across Europe. Governments and wealthy patrons of the arts even backed the revival of lace making. Lace schools were set up to provide employment and to teach makers skills that were in the danger of being lost. 

 
There were so many cute shoes!
 
 

 
What i love about wedding dresses are the love put into and detailed work executed to make each individual masterpiece, worn by beautiful brides on the day they looked forward to the most since they were 6.
 

this one here is my favourite~ look at the detailed design of this marvelous dress. the laces at the top, makeshift ribbon or flower at the small of your back and that small little buttons or something trailing all the way down. I just love it so much <3


I took so many photos just to remember them all by but one can only truly enjoy it if they've been there instead of listening to stories and facts said and retold by others. It's a beautiful exhibition, truly unforgettable~~

No comments:

Post a Comment