17 March 2013

Sue's (The Middle) Great Speech on 'The Smile'

Sue Heck had to research on a hypothesis in this episode so she went with 'Is Smiling Contagious,' and this is what she wrote at the end of the episode.


Is smiling contagious? After many attempts with multiple subjects including family, friends, or my lobster waitress and an unfriendly baby, i unfortunately, was unable to prove my hypothesis. However, like many scientists before me, i refuse to admit defeat. It took Einstein 10 years to prove E=Mc (square) and if it takes me that long to prove smiling is contagious then i am up for the challenge. For i believe there are some things that defy logic. 


Brick: No way! An iPad?? And it's the one from the fire?
Frankie: oh.. (looking at Mike) this is better than being a good parent *smiles*


French anotomist Duchenne wrote that joys are expressed by the face by contraction of the muscles but it can only be put in play by the sweet emotions of the soul.



Axl: I'm gonna miss you guys 
(referring to all 3 of them having to go their separate ways after high school)
Darrin: Okay, i'm just going to say it. I love you.
Sean and Axl: Augghh!
Axl: oh okay! Darrin just made it weird!
Darrin: I'm sorry, i'm very emotional right now *starts tearing up*
Axl: Dude come on man! *smiles and lightly punches each other*



And Duchenne, had a whole smile named after him! Think of the smiles over the years that have inspired a whole world to happiness, Mona Lisa's, Justin Bieber's.. some might laugh at me, i know, just as they laughed at John Burton. He was told in high school that he would never be a scientist, he just won the noble prize. I guess it just proves that being dismissed by people who think they know better, is not an obstacle to winning a noble prize. So i will continue with my research one smile at a time until i prove that smiling is contagious, cause i don't wanna live in a world where it isn't. 






I do not own the rights to the photos.

3 comments: