9 March 2013

DSLR ≠ Instagram

Perched on top of my TV stand last night was my precious Nikon DSLR, nicely placed and free from potential harm. Looking at the fine piece of human creation, my attention went back the screen on my laptop, blogging and more or less continuously switching from Facebook to Tumblr and back again. Just then, my sister, Rin, walks into the room hurriedly with her iPad in hand, rushing to evade the cloud of cigarette smoke my father had produced out in the living room.

"Arrggghhhh!," scrunching my eyebrows as i always do when i too smell that horrid nicotine death-filled air, i raised the collar of my t shirt to my nose to block them. 

"You know," my sister glanced at my DSLR, "I think it's useless to have a DSLR, instagram takes nicer photos."

Now, as you guys know, or if you don't, let me explain to you... I love taking photos and just last year, my dad bought me my first DSLR, a Nikon 5100. I love it, not loved it, i LOVE it. Never once do i have a moment where i regretted it, maybe in dark lighting situations i do, but never once do i regret owning one. So imagine my disappointment and annoyance when she made that statement.

And then this escalated into a mini debate.

Me: Look, firstly, i never regretted until now that i have a DSLR and that has been one of the best purchases i have ever made. And no, Instagram is NOT better than DSLR in any way. 

Rin: You can use your phone to take photos, it's still the same~ 

Me: No hello, it's not the same. DSLR takes sharper photos than my phone ever could. Instagram is a good application in its own way, all the filters and effects BUT DSLR by its own also has its benefits. You cannot just say that instagram is better than DSLR because you don't even use a DSLR, WHICH i won't lend you mine by the way, you only have an Instagram account.  You can't just state you like one more than the other when you only use one of them.

Rin: You see, how do i know which is better when you won't lend me yours?


And then that was it, she conceded to my counter argument of what i could best think of in a matter of seconds. Our mini debate. She's usually a good debater but this time, she didn't really get her facts right. I think it's quite obvious who won :)

1 comment: