21 January 2012

The Japanese Language

I can speak Malay and Chinese, but not confidently. I learn chinese in school but speak malay at home. The only language i am quite fluent in is (duh) ENGLISH.

I plan to take on Japanese when the new term starts because that's when the language modules come up. I'll grab for the Japanese one and will soon be able to speak Japanese. Maybe the next term after that, i'll choose Malay. I can only speak conversational malay so when it comes to formal talk with my relatives and stuff, i know naught. It'll be great if i can understand Malay news. It's soooo confusing and difficult to understand...

I own a book actually, called Colloquial Japanese. Bought it when i was about 15. Studied 2 chapters of it and have not touched it since. School and other stuff left me preoccupied. Recently, i watch Hanazakari no Kimitachi e and i regained my love for the Japanese language. Whenever i hear Japanese, i'll find the language sooo beautiful... I just fell in love with it and it's country the first time i heard it.



The first time i encountered Japanese, i was in primary 5, age 11. Around that time. My chinese teacher showed it to us in class but it was dubbed in Mandarin. After each lesson, she would hand us a sheet of paper which have questions printed in Chinese about what happened or something. I never grasped the chinese language so i can't really read them. but i can fully understand what i being said. I love all the chinese lessons because of Inuyasha. However, she never showed my class much becasue she was a trainee teacher and let's face it, how many freaking episodes does Inuyasha have? Friggin a lot.



After some time, my sisiter and i purchased boxes 1 to 4 at an offer. She never knew what it was about but i managed to persuade her and she ended up loving it. Inuyasha is addictive. Too bad it's not being noticed by the current teenagers. I feel old...

Anyways, it was then that i encountered the Japanese language. The phrase i like in Inuyasha is Bakka (or something to that effect) cause Kagome sometimes call Inuyasha that :)


Then there's Osuwadi (which means 'sit'). It's always funny to sit Inuyasha being slammed to ground with just Kagome saying that particular word.


Bit by bit, i started to learn japanese through the phrases said in Inuyasha and even purchased that book i said about when i pleaded my dad for the money to buy the book. The best Japanese experience i had up to date though was my trip to Japan. In sec 3, age 15, my school suddenly announced a trip to Japan. It was the first time ever in TWSS to start such a thing. I was ESCTATIC. Initially, i was confused as to the procedures on how to apply but things worked out in the end and i went to Japan. It was sad though that my sister did not get to go. It was luck that i was born a year later than her and that this trip was announced on my year for only secondary 3 students.

Anyways, the next year after that when i was a Secondary 4 student, the next batch of Secondary 3 students got to go. However, there were so many students that an interviews had to be scheduled for some students. In my year, there were no students who had to do that. Quite sad for those who wanted to go, especially my friend who was in Secondary 3 then.

Japan is a beautiful country and i remembered when i was at Narita airport getting ready to go back home to Singapore, a teacher said that my friends and i were lucky to have the chance to come to Japan at such a young age as it was only her first time there, she was around 30 years old.

I love you Japan!

No comments:

Post a Comment